I have a confession. I am a recovering Taco Bellaholic. I was totally addicted. Before I converted to eating real food, I used to eat Taco Bell 2 to 3 times per week, if not more. I loved it! The thought of it makes my mouth water as I sit here typing.
Alas, I discovered what was in Taco Bell’s food. Unfortunately, there’s not a whole lot of real food in there. Reconstituted, dehydrated refried beans, barely food grade ground beef, GMO corn tortillas, not to mention all of the MSG laden sauces. You can check out some gory details on Food Babe’s latest post on Taco Bell right here. I would imagine that many of my current physical ailments are due to my indulgence in this fast food joint’s food-like cuisine.
After walking away from this 20+ year addiction, I had to find new ways to satisfy that urge to run for the Border. This was usually done by creating my own real food nachos using organic blue corn tortilla chips. But one night I was really craving a Mexican pizza. I had already gone gluten free, so I had to figure out a way to get around those delicious fried flour tortillas. Introducing the brown rice tortilla. I discovered these little babies at Trader Joe’s. With minimal effort, they fry up beautifully, crunchy and delicious in coconut oil.
After making the perfect crispy foundation, you can add just about any real food toppings you like. First, I like to spread refried beans on my tortilla as an adhesive to hold the other ingredients in place. Next, I add grass fed seasoned ground beef (pastured ground pork works well too) and some grass fed cheddar cheese (I like Kerrygold.)
Then add some fresh veggies; diced tomatoes, avocados and green onions are my favorites. To top it off, add some organic sour cream and your favorite salsa. Slice it up with your pizza cutter and get ready for a treat! We seriously have this for dinner once a week. And yes, my kids eat every bite!
Keepin’ it Crazy!
- 4 Brown Rice Tortillas
- ¼ c coconut oil (for frying)
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef
- Organic Taco Seasoning
- 1 can organic refried beans
- 1 c shredded grass fed cheddar cheese
- 1 diced large tomato
- 1 peeled and diced avocado
- 2 diced green onions
- sour cream (for topping)
- salsa (for topping)
- Start cooking your ground beef and season it once it has browned, follow the instructions for your seasoning, this usually requires adding some water so that the beef doesn't get overly dry.
- While it's cooking, heat your coconut oil in a large skillet
- Fry your rice tortillas in the coconut oil, keep an eye on them and turn once to make sure they do not burn
- While they are cooking chop your veggies
- Heat your refried beans
- When all of the ingredients are ready, build each pizza.
- Start by spreading the refried beans on a tortilla. I usually hold the tortilla In one hand while using my other hand to spread the toppings evenly.
- Then add desired amount of seasoned ground beef, cheese, veggies, sour cream and salsa
- Slice and enjoy.
- We usually have one pizza per person.